Family Photo 2015

Family Photo 2015

Friday, January 22, 2010

Visions of Afro Puffs & Tiaras


So today we are at 26 days and counting until our baby girl arrives! Our house has been a mess as we have gone into nesting overdrive with planning. And when I say we, I do mean both me and Ashley! Is it weird that the father can go through a nesting phase? The baby room/guest room is almost complete and I am super excited about it! And now we are waiting...and wondering what kind of kid this little lady is going to be! Which leads me to the title of this entry!

The other night I was up late...because I could not sleep. While I was laying on the couch, an episode of that show "Toddlers and Tiaras" came on! If you have ever seen this show, you will totally agree with me that it is a parental HOT MESS! I am amazed and sad to see what parents will put their children through for the sack of competition. And for some of these parents, if not all of them, it is clear that they are living vicariously through their children! So of course since that was the last thing I saw in real life...my dreams were reflecting the same thing. Yes you guessed it! I was that crazy parent in the back of the ballroom doing mirror image choreography while my daughter was on stage! I even remember the TV cameras following us, because we were a part of the next season of the show. They wanted to follow us because our little girl won 15 pageants in a row! Basically, the world wanted to know what was our secret to success! The dream went on with more trophies, tiaras, and tantrums... naturally, the trophies and tiaras were from our kid. The tantrums were from the other children! LOL

I woke up from that dream feeling dirty and ashamed! I always knew that woman were subjected to the world's opinion of how they should look and what they should wear! I did not realize it started so young! The more I thought about the dream, the more I found it humorous. I know that I am not like those parents on that show. And the fact that I am a some sort of performing musician, I have worked hard at keeping my "Show Dad" personality in check with Keller. My prayer is that my daughter can be comfortable with who she is and not conform to what the fashion magazines and news media tell her she needs to be! My prayer for myself is that I do not impress upon her my unreal expectations of who she is suppose to be. Above all, my prayer is, that as a family, we can reflect the Love of Christ in our comings and goings. Whether that be soccer games, band concerts, dance recitals, etc. In my heart and in my mind, I will always see visions of Afro puffs and tiaras...because just as her mother is the queen of my heart, she will be my little princess!

RG

No comments:

Post a Comment