Family Photo 2015

Family Photo 2015

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Power in His Name

One would think that the title of this post would be enough for any believe. "There is Power in His Name." The simple step of calling out to him-in any situation-and soon, He has revealed himself in a new way. That should be enough for us...and yet, some times, we still are asking the question, who is God?
Recently, I started reading the bible again from the beginning. Once again, I found myself rereading the story of Moses. It is comforting to know that, people like Moses, Noah, David, Paul-all these biblical characters- are just like us. We try to describe who God is, and yet words fail, or we over think and over analyze who He is. Which brings us to Exodus 3:13-15.
Of course we know the story: Moses is hanging out, going about his day, when he spots a burning bush...that isn't really burning! That would just stop me in my tracks. God chose to reveal himself to Moses at Mount Horeb and reveal His plan to Moses. He has heard the cry of his people...and it was time to act. But he needed a messenger to proclaim the news to the Israelites. That messenger was Moses. We have all been there...the moment when God has showed you His plan and it leaves you dumbfounded. "How is this even possible?" "God, You want me to do what??" etc.
Face down in the dirt, Moses puts the question out there; "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them,
'The God of your fathers has sent me to you' and they ask me 'What is His name?' Then what shall I tell them?"
God's response is the best part! He says,
"I AM WHO I AM. This what you are to say to the Israelites:'I AM has sent me to you' God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD, the god of your fathers-the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob- has sent me to you' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.
I have to believe that Moses did not understand this statement at first....thinking that he would get a much more clear answer. But this name-"I AM", tells Moses and us, that God is unchanging, constant, immeasurable...He is God.
This is a powerful reminder for us today. When we start looking around at the things happening in the world, and in our personal lives. When we are calling on his name and we don't quite understand His response. Now more then ever we need to be reminded that He is the One that "exists and who will be dynamically present then and there in the situation to which He is sending us." (paraphrased from Expositor's Bible commentary). God is always with us and will never leave or forsake us... and always working on our behalf.
I am reminded that God-though He is vast beyond measure- is a personal God. The story of Moses reminds me that God is who He is and forever will be...which is the God of our salvation. We can face whatever we are called to because He is always with us. We glorify and magnify His name because we know that we can healing, hope and joy in His name.

RG

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts, Ryan. It's always good to stop and reflect on God's vastness and power. Thank you for making me think!

    ReplyDelete