Family Photo 2015

Family Photo 2015

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gage Gooey Chocolate Butter Cake


I was a little worried about posting this recipe with all the news about Paula Deen but the truth is...a little sugar and butter never hurt anyone...as long as you immediately go on a five mile bike ride or run, right?
In all seriousness, I don't think it is wrong to enjoy a little dessert from time to time, and even as I am journeying through my own weight loss journey, I know and understand that I cannot-regardless of the amazing taste- partake in foods like this gooey butter cake and other comfort foods on a daily basis. But enough with all the health talk...listed below is my version of the Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake. I think the only difference between my version and Paula Deen's version is that I use one less stick of butter, and I use Mexican vanilla!

INGREDIENTS:

For the Crust
1 Chocolate Cake mix (regular chocolate works best but have tried Devil's food and German Chocolate)
1 stick butter (melted)
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla

For top layer:
8 oz. Soften Cream Cheese
1 box of powdered sugar
2 eggs
5 tablespoons of cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly grease 13X9 pan and set aside

1. In small bowl, mix the cake mix, egg, melted butter and vanilla until well blended making a dough type texture.
2. Pat the mixture into the greased baking dish and set aside.
3. With a mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs and powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
4. Add cocoa powder to cream cheese mixture and beat until smooth
5. Pour Cream cheese mixture with the first layer in the baking dish.
6. Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Top layer should have golden color and crackled look.
7. Remove from oven and let cool.
8. Cut cake into square pieces and serve with dollop of Whipped Cream and shaved chocolate pieces. You can also serve with fresh strawberries.

***Please note, if you don't like chocolate, you can make this a traditional Gooey butter cake. Simply switch the chocolate cake mix for a yellow cake mix and remove the cocoa powder from the filling.

Happy eating!!!!

RG

1 comment:

  1. Oh my I gained 5 pounds reading the recipe. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete