Family Photo 2015

Family Photo 2015

Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall Fun List 2012

Anyone who knows me knows that I like to make list. Scratch that…I LOVE to make list. In fact, this morning, writing a blog post was on my list! It is great to see that amazing little sheet of paper (or tablet) that holds all of your immediate goals for the day or even your long term goals. I love the challenge of checking off as many things as possible…and now I have just revealed my small streak of geek and my inner OCD. A couple of years ago, I decided to pass on the love of list making to our oldest son. Through this, we started our “Summer Fun List”. Some would call it a bucket list, but at that time, I did not want to explain to a 4 year why you would use the word bucket…so we changed it to fun! We usually make the list on Memorial Day weekend, and set the goal to complete everything on the list by Labor Day weekend. We have had some great adventures with this list…including, learning to roller skate, diving off diving boards, trips on trains, trips to zoo, learning new board games, road trips, and building projects. The idea was to set aside special time for my son during his summer break, so that he wasn’t board all summer, and it was a great opportunity for the two of us to spend some quality time together. Fast forward to fall, I have decided to continue the list making tradition with our first “Fall Fun List”; however the rules are different with this activity. Instead of the children making the list, it is solely me, the adult, making the list of all the great fall things I would like to do with my family. We start the first week of October and the goal is to finish everything by December 1st. For me personally, the goals are to create several new family memories; to do at least one activity with each child (like dad dates); and do a couple of special things with my wife. Here are two important things to remember: 1.) Be careful not to let the fun list turn into a “to do” list. I know we have a lot of things to do around the house. The activities you choose should be distinctly for family fun and connection. Feel free to make a chore/project list, just don’t let it compete or bleed into your fun list. 2.) DON’T beat yourself up if you don’t get through your entire list. Some things you can’t control (like train schedules or blackout dates)…the beautiful thing is that these activities can roll over into the next year or next season. The important thing is that you are taking time to unplug from your phones, computers, tablets and be active with your family. So, here’s my list! Wish me luck, and I encourage each one of you to get that notepad out and start list making! -Take a fall train ride -visit a pumpkin patch/fall festival -Run through a corn maze -decorate our house for fall -paint/carve pumpkins -jump in a pile of leaves -Plan 2 new date nights -make fall shaped cookies -Go on Picnic -smore’s night -Host a fall party -Man Night -Send gratitude cards - fall getaway -Take outdoor family photos -make and share pumpkin squares -Plant mums -rake a neighbor’s yard Happy fall from my family to yours! RG

No comments:

Post a Comment