Family Photo 2015

Family Photo 2015

Saturday, December 12, 2009

A View from the Director's Chair (Special Edition)....Statements from Keller

Well we made it through our first performance last night! Yes I said made it because of the strange sound issues and quarks that happened in act I. But my hat goes off to the tech team for remaining calm and cool in this moment of crisis. But also, my hat goes off to the actors and singers who had to make quick adjustments as we rewrote the entire act right here on the spot! To say the least, it was an interesting evening!
Yesterday before the show, Keller and I had to pick up the playbills for the performance. The print shop that we use is about 45 minutes away, so we had time to hang out! Plus we had to take the church van, because of all the boxes, so he was pretty excited about this trip! So as we were driving, Keller told me that he was "really excited" about being a snow flake in the show!
He continued by saying,
"Dad, I need to practice for the snowflakes."
"Ok, Keller you can practice if you need to." As I was saying this to him, I looked in the rear view mirror and could see him bobbing his head to some song in his head. Then all of a sudden the little singing voice pops out "LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW." Then he went back to the head bobbing. I quickly discovered that he was replaying the song in his head, and that he would only sing the final statement of "Let it Snow". It was to funny to watch!
Fast foward to last night's performance. I was a little nervous about how he would respond to the almost 500 people in the audience. When I introduced Keller and his friend Darcy, the audience of course started clapping for them! Their faces were priceless because as they were walking down, they had to stop and look at people...as if to make sure that everyone was safe. Anyway, they made their way down to the stage and they introduced themselves. The song began and off they went, dancing their hearts out...really it was more jumping in circles, but the point is they were cute! I even gave Keller the microphone and let him sing the "Let it snow" sections!
When the song was over, the kid even knew to stop and take a bow! I promise I did not teach that to him!
At the end of the show, I went to pick him up from child care and he told me "Daddy, we were the best snowflakes ever!! This is a great day!" It was in this moment, I realized how much of a child's identity is wrapped up in their parent's identity! Because he sees me leading worship or performing, Keller felt totally comfortable with walking into the sanctuary with all those people and sing his heart out. And did not think twice about it!
I am not sure I will make a good Show Dad!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment