Family Photo 2015

Family Photo 2015

Friday, April 23, 2010

Statements from Keller part III "Gone with the Wind"


Many of you know our son personally and so this story will not be surprising to you in the least. For those that don't know him, I encourage you to read the previous blog posts about him and you will understand why have such a great time with him...and he's only 4 years old.

Our story takes place during holy week. I was busy getting the last details finished on the Good Friday Service and I decided to take Keller with me to help me decorate. Of course his version of helping consisted of playing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" on the piano, a couple of drum solos, and some sprint races down the center aisle of the Sanctuary. However, he did help me place some of the candles and was quick to correct me if something did not look like it was in the right place (gets that from his mother).

At last our work was done and I needed to place some of the boxes in the choir room...which is directly behind the main platform.

ME: "Keller, we are almost done. I am going to put these boxes away and we can go home."

KELLER: "Okay Dad! I am right here." Here being in the front pew.

So I quickly go backstage, put the boxes away, lock the doors and turn out the lights. I walk back into the sanctuary and notice that Keller is not in the same spot. In fact he is not even in the sanctuary. So I call out his name a couple of times and there was no response. I went back and checked the choir room...still no answer. This was the moment where I could feel my stomach starting to turn into a big knot.

I quickly went toward the foyer and front door. As I am getting closer I notice that the front door was propped open with no child in sight! So of course I went all ghetto in the parking lot calling out for him as loud as I could....and still there was no answer. So I sprint toward the house (an advantage of living next door to the church). I bust through the front door to find Keller in the front room with Ashley and the baby. Oh the plethora of emotions I had at that time: Joy, relief, frustration, anger, fear, humility, etc.

So of course I had to scold him for walking home in the parking lot, next to a road, alone! His face was so sad, because he had never seen me so scared. And I think it scared him as well. So as I am talking to him and correcting him, I realize that Ashley has not said much. I look over to see she is smiling and trying not to laugh. So, of course, I had to ask her what was the deal. She was trying not to laugh because of the story Keller told her before I arrived. The conversation went something like this:

KNOCK, KNOCK, on the door!

ASHLEY: Oh! Hey Keller! Where is Daddy?

KELLER: He is at the church! (Realizing what he has just said) But Mommy, I don't know what happened!

ASHLEY: What do you mean?

KELLER: Well I was there and then the wind picked me up and took me over the parking lot and to the door at the house! I don't know what happened!


Of course as he is sharing this story he is using his arms to represent the wind actually taking him home. As scary as it was in the moment, I love sharing this story because it reminds me to appreciate the innocence of my children and to appreciate how dramatic and creative his mind can be. I cannot wait to see what adventures he and his imaginary friends are going to find. By the way, He has named his friends Keller 2 and Keller 3. Only our child is vain enough to name imaginary people after himself!


RG

No comments:

Post a Comment