Family Photo 2015

Family Photo 2015

Friday, April 23, 2010

The reality of People Watching

Oh go ahead and confess! You know you do it too!
How many times have we sat in an airport, a park or even a stop light and did a little bit of people watching? I would not go as far as saying it is a spiritual gift but there are some people who are good and the art of people watching...and then there are those who are good at being watched. And you know who you are!
Recently, I was out at a mall doing some shopping with the family. I decided to take Keller to the indoor playground while Ashley went to check out some other stores. For those of you with children, you know how these indoor playgrounds are arranged. Usually the benches enclose the equipment and all the parents sit around and are able to talk to each other and watch the kiddos have a great time.
There I sat, minding my business and making plenty of observations of the different people coming in and out of the playground. The sound of our baby crying pulled me out of the fog of watching people. While I was tending to the baby, I noticed this couple looking at me. Naturally, I smiled and went on about my business. Then after about 5 minutes, I noticed that the same couple was still staring at me. This went on for another few minutes and to be honest, it felt really uncomfortable.
Then it hit me, the reality of people watching is that, someone is out there people watching me! I hope that just made sense! I could not believe that I was naive enough to think that I was immune to those that enjoy watching others. So this got me thinking...what are they looking at? Do I have something on my shirt? In my teeth? But then I found myself asking this question: Do the people watchers see God in me? In how I interact with my wife, children, friends, strangers around me, do they see the evidence of grace in my life? So the true reality of people watching becomes an opportunity for us to indirectly share Christ with those around us. Seeds are being planted in the very actions we do! So the next time you are out at the mall or movie theatre or even driving down the road, ask yourself...Can they see God in me?

RG

No comments:

Post a Comment