Family Photo 2015

Family Photo 2015

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Shouting Hosanna

I have always loved spring. I know I have said that in a previous post, but the fact is that there is something so special and unique about this time of year. I think the arrival of spring is one of the many constant reminders of God's hand at work, not just in creation by making all things new and fresh, but His hands are molding us and making us new! Spring also ushers in the modern day reminder of Holy Week and the celebration of Easter. I can hardly believe that Palm Sunday is upon us. I am sure most churches will be taking time in there traditional services to make this moment in our spiritual & literal history with children or adults parading through their sanctuaries with palm branches and shouting "Hosanna."
As I was finalizing some plans for our worship services this week, I wanted to read more about this word. There are a couple of translations/definitions for the word Hosanna, but the one that stuck out to me this week was “LORD save us now!” That’s what the crowds were shouting on the day Jesus road into Jerusalem on the donkey. As I continued reading his word, I could feel that there was a passionate sense of urgency and desperation in there cries to Jesus. It was more then just rolling out the red carpet and welcoming Him to the city. They recognized their need for a deliverer, and they believed that He was the One.
I want to share this scripture with you from Psalm 118:25, 26 it says “O LORD, save us, O LORD, grant us success. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD. From the house of the LORD we bless you.”
I have to believe that the spirit of the crowds that day was intense. But I am discovering that the word Hosanna was a word more of prayer than praise. When the people say “LORD save us” they are also saying “Come have your way! We know you are our Deliverer. Do what only you can do! Please save us and do it now!”

One of the songs that we are singing this week in simply titled "Hosanna" by Paul Baloche and Brenton Brown. I love the lyrics of the verses:

Praise is rising, eyes are turning to You. We turn to You. Hope is stirring, hearts are yearning for You. We long for You. Hear the sound of hearts returning to You. We turn to You. In Your Kingdom, broken lives are made new. You make us new.

So as I think about our current day...it is clear that we are in need of him. It is clear that some of us, including myself, need to say & shout out "Hosanna." Maybe this Palm Sunday will be different. Maybe this Palm Sunday will be a moment for someone to set aside their personal pain, or hang up that allows them to worship freely in a corporate setting. Maybe this Palm Sunday, as we are singing our songs and waving our branches, we are crying out to him in anticipation that His spirit will do great things....not just in the service but in our lives! That He is indeed going to make us new!

RG
references from NRSV Bible
More Songs for Praise and Worship vol. III

No comments:

Post a Comment